Wednesday, October 30, 2013

So I painted a piano...

A few months ago we were having dinner at a friend's house. As my kids were hammering away on the old piano there, I mentioned that one day I would like to have piano so that the kids and I can learn how to play. My dear friend said that this one belonged to her mother in law and if the house they were living in ever sold (it was her mother-in-laws house) she would probably sell me the piano. The piano still played well but needed a bit of TLC in the looks department. I may have uttered something about painting it.

Fast forward a few weeks. Aforementioned conversation forgotten. My friend lets me know that (surprise!) the house sold incredibly quickly and they are moving out in a few weeks. Do I still want the piano? Rational part of the brain says: you don't even know if pianos can be painted, you already have 12 other projects to work on, the kids aren't going to playing for a few more years, you are about to bring your third child home from china and you should not be spending your time doing this, you are probably just going to leave it in the house unpainted for the next thousand weeks. My answer: when else am I going to get a piano so cheap, of course I want it!

So, 2 weeks later four very strong men bring said piano to our house and place it in the garage. Thankfully the bookcase I had been painting for Lilys room had just vacated the spot, but Brian's jeep was relegated to the driveway for the indefinite future.

Now to decide on a color! I knew the piano would go in the front living room with our green couches so I needed it not to clash. I definitely wanted it to be bright though. So I decided on a bright mint green. I know this may not sound like a real color, but I found just what I was looking for! The next several days were spent in the garage sanding, priming, painting, and repainting. Thankfully the weather finally started to cool off so the kids were able to play outside while I worked. Two weeks later it was ready! I love how it turned out!




No comments: