Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Thankful

When you’ve spent almost two weeks in a foreign country, it’s very easy to find things you are thankful for! And since it’s already Thanksgiving here, I thought I’d dedicate my thankful post to the good ole’ U. S. of A. On this Thanksgiving I am thankful for:

  • Clean water for drinking, bathing and brushing my teeth
  • The English language
  • Cultural barriers that make excessive staring and unsolicited advice taboo
  • Internet that isn’t restricted
  • Google translate
  • Clean air
  • Toilets
  • Toilet paper
  • Hand soap
  • Cleanliness standards in public restrooms and restaurants
  • Fresh fruits and vegetables
  • My minivan
  • Trees
  • Running outside
  • Traffic laws
  • Open space
  • My house
  • Bedroom doors
  • American food!!!!

Even though I definitely miss home, I am thankful for the experience of a different culture to make me appreciate what I have there. And I am thankful for the opportunity to get to experience a piece of my children’s past. And I’m sure poor David will be having many of the same thoughts I am when we get home and he begins to experience culture shock. Everything will look, smell, and sound different to him.

On a serious note, I am of course incredibly thankful for my family and friends. I am thankful that God has given me four precious treasures to raise, even when they drive me nuts! I am thankful for a husband who is always up for an adventure with me, and loves and serves me well. I am thankful for supportive parents who give up two weeks of their life to come to a strange country and help us. I am thankful for a brother and sister-in-law are also great friends and love and encourage us. I am thankful for our friends from Life Group who stand by our side and get on their knees for and with us. I am thankful for my church family who loves and supports us well. I am thankful for all the friends that God has brought into my life. You have all blessed me and shaped me in different ways. And I can’t wait to see you soon!!!!!

No comments: