Friday, August 3, 2012

Caroline at 15 months

Caroline just went for her 15 month well visit yesterday, so I thought I would write a little update on our precious baby girl.

It seems that the word most people use to describe you is tough. I guess you have to be, with your brother constantly beating up on you (sometimes accidentally). Even your pediatrician called you brave, and said you definitely weren't a shrinking violet! I must say I like that about you, maybe because I'm not that way. I like that you get knocked down and aren't phased by it, that you're confident enough to walk up to people and "tell" them what you want, and that you climb and conquer any piece of furniture. I love that God has given you these characteristics and I'm excited to see how he uses them as you grow.

You are at that great stage where you like to laugh, and are figuring out how to make other people laugh too. No one can make you laugh more than your brother! You love it when he plays peek-a-boo with you, when you jump on his bed together, and when he chases you around the house. My favorite smile is when you're running away from me and get this twinkle in your eye and a high pitched squeal. I don't love this squeal when it happens in your brother's room during his nap, but other times it's pretty cute.

I'm pretty sure you're going to be a bookworm, because you are obsessed with books! Your favorite thing to do is sit on your little pink chair and turn the pages of books. You carry them out of your room (sometimes a whole stack at once!), bring them to me, then point at your room and lead me back in there to read to you. Although most of the time there's not much reading because as soon as I read the first page or two you start pointing at another book that you want to look at. Then another. And another. Actually, I'm usually just holding a book open while you turn the pages.

You are actually a pretty good communicator already. Your first word was thank you, and you use it every time we hand you something! You also say cajun, dada, ball, boo, bird, woof woof (for dog), this, what's this, there you go, and a few more sounds like yum and shhh. Even though you don't have words for most things you need, I still can figure out what you want pretty easily. I'm not sure if that's because you point enthusiastically, or because you generally want one of two things - milk or a graham cracker. You must have taken a lesson from Cajun on finding hidden food, because somehow you seem to know every time I have graham crackers in my purse, in the car, or when I have a new box in the pantry.

Some other super cute things that I love right now are your facial expressions. You figured out how to raise your eyebrows, and you do it when you're surprised, excited, or sometimes just for fun it seems. You have this great face where you stick out your lower jaw and teeth and look like a grizzly bear with an underbite. I also love it when you give kisses! To do this you suck on your lower lip and lean in for a headbutt. I'm also a fan of how you cover your face and say "boo" to do peek-a-boo. It might have something to do with the fact that you like to do it while I change your diaper, which is a vast improvement over the houdini escape acts you used to do while I changed you.

Other things you love: food, getting messy while you eat, the water, being outside, your daddy, baby dolls, running away, copying your brother, making a monkey sound, wearing my shoes, dogs, and babies.

No comments: