Sunday, April 5, 2015

The Name David

So I know I said I was going to start doing more posts about our adoption, and I did! I actually have them all written, I just kind of forgot to post them. So here we go!

One of the nights that I lay awake praying and wrestling with this decision, I started looking up names. The Chinese name that our son was given is Li Jian Ming which means strong and warrior. I tried to find an English name with the same meaning, and wasn't very successful. There were plenty of names that meant strong, I just didn't really like any of them. I ended up finding three names that I liked, with one being my favorite - Benjamin, David, and Evan. When I ran them by Brian the next morning, he liked David the best, and that one was my favorite as well! David means dearly loved.

Now let me give you a little back story here. When we had Lily's picture and were deciding whether or not to accept her referral, I also lay awake one night thinking about her name (sound familiar?). Going into the adoption I thought we would name a girl Sarah, but when I looked at her Sarah just didn't fit. Her referral name that had been given to her was Hailee, and for some reason the -lee ending really seemed to work. God whispered the name Lily, and I knew it was a perfect fit. Then like 2 days later I realized that it was Easter week, and Easter lilies are everywhere! Of course Easter lilies stand for new life, which was so fitting for our little Lily! We used Easter lilies to share the news of our new daughter.


So now here I am, deciding on the name David for our son, which means dearly loved, and I realize that we are two days out from Valentine's Day! Of course! I have seen God work in the details of things over and over again, and the naming of all four of our children is no exception. Not only does his name parallel the focus of the season we are currently in, but it is almost identical to Lily's name story! Unfortunately, we weren't able to take advantage of the Valentine's Day holiday to share our news this time. More on that in the next post!

No comments: